You have your Lantern Packet with you and you are eager to make it.
Let’s start making!
Take out all the materials from envelope
You will have a glowing Lantern in your hand once you complete the following two activities.
Activity – 1
The Paper Lantern
To make paper lantern separate all the paper cuttings given in the kit.
- Take the star shaped paper cutting and translucent paper.
- Apply fevicol or glue on the white side of the paper cutting.
- Now layer the translucent paper on it and press it on the sides properly.
It will look like this
- Now fold its first and last flap towards inside, along the lines.
- Fold the outer part towards inside like this and apply some fevicol or glue on it.
- Now place the other end on the outer part with fevicol and press it gently.
- Now take the second paper cutting with a hanging ring and fold the flaps towards inside along the lines marked there.
- After folding every flap you will get something like this…
- Now fold the part that comes out towards inside, along the line marked and apply some glue on it.
- Now place the other end on it and press gently.
- Now you have to fold the flaps at bottom to make base and flaps at top to make support for hanging your lantern.
- This is how your base looks after folding all the flaps.
- In the same way, fold flaps of the top side…
- After folding flaps, the top side will look like this.
- Now slide the start-shaped part over the hanging part gently.
- This is how your lantern will look.
Activity – 2
The Electronic Diya Circuit
This is another activity which will make your lantern glow.
- Open the packet and take out all the things.
- You can see a card there with some instructions written on it. We are going to make a circuit with on this card.
- Take copper tape and measure it by keeping on the grey lines and tear its pieces.
- Remove paper from the back of copper tape measured for the grey line shown and stick on the grey line.
- Don’t cut copper tape at the end of the card, instead fold it towards the other side of the card.
- When you reach at the end of the grey line, fold about 1.5cm of the copper tape. Place another piece of copper tape below this folded part and stick it along the grey line till the end.
- Take another piece of copper tape and stick it along the grey line left in the above image. Fold it towards front side of the card.
- Stick it till the end of grey line (at circle).
- Take a new piece of copper tape. Stick it on the grey line starting from another side of circle. Go straight and fold it at the end for about 1.5cm.
- Take another piece. Keep it below folded part and continue straight and fold it at the end for about 1.5cm.
- Take another piece. Keep it below this folded part, continue straight and paste it till the end on grey line.
- Now take LED, fold its legs towards outside and keep it on the copper like this. Paste the legs of LED on copper tape with the help of cello tape.
- Fix all the folded ends with copper tape inside them on card with cello tape.
- Now place cell on this bigger circle with its positive or plane side facing up.
- Fold the card over the cell along the dotted lines on the card.
- Take the paper clip and insert it at the folded end of the card to hold cell and card together.
- When your paper clip will touch the copper tape below and at the front at the same time, LED will glow. Your Electronic Diya is ready! 😀
- When you slide away the paper clip from copper tape. LED will turn off.
- Now slide the outer part of lantern up.
- Place the electronic diya on the base with LED facing up.
- Slide the outer part down. You Lantern is ready!! 😀
Make more such lanterns to decorate your house.
Use this lantern to lighten up all the dark corners of your house during the festival. 🙂